Sunday, 26 February 2023
“Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.” -Psalm 62:5
A great confidence in God who is strong and who can deliver is the mood of this Psalm of David. It is a reassurance to one who is going through difficult times to put his/her trust in God alone. There is an unshakeable faith that shines through the Psalm that gives hope to the reader.
Why do we find such exuberant trust in God coming forth from the lips of the Psalmist? God’s attributes that create such trust are found in the Psalm itself:
1. He is the One who saves (vs.1)- Where can one find safety in the world we live in? It is not just the physical danger we see all around us, but the danger of being betrayed, forsaken by close people, fellowmen (even seen here in vs. 3-4) that looms so large in today’s world. In such perilous times, we can confidently say “My being safe… rests with God.” (vs.7 NLV). Even in the midst of life-threatening situations, we can confidently say, “He alone is my salvation!”
2. He is a Rock and a Fortress (vs.2)- two symbols of strength- places we can run to, in danger. David declares about God: “You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.” (Ps.32:7)
3. He is our Refuge (vs.8)- Psalm 46:1 says, “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” Under His wings, we find refuge (Ps.91:4)- an image that brings to mind how the chicks find safety under the wings of the mother hen.
4. He is strong (vs.11)- Power belongs to God! Psalm 89: 13 (NLT):”Powerful is your arm! Strong is your hand! Your right hand is lifted high in glorious strength.” His arm of strength is mighty to save in any/every situation.
5. He is loving (vs.12)- God’s love towards His own gives us all the more hope in difficult times- a confidence that He will not let down the one He loves. Psalm 63:3 says, “Your unfailing love is better than life itself;…”
All these attributes make the Psalmist put his unwavering trust in God alone- to rest confident that God is in charge and He will deliver!
Out of the many examples of God’s timely help given in the Bible, let us look at Paul who was caught in storm and shipwreck for no doing of his own (Acts 27). But his confidence in those distressing times came from God who sent His angel to assure him not to be afraid. His quiet trust in God’s deliverance helped him pass that confidence to others in the ship: “So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen just as he told me” (Acts 27:25). In the distressing times, he not just found courage in God but passed it on to other suffering beside him. What a testimony!
Troublesome times are when we tend to fret and become distressed. But like the Psalmist, can we “rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him” (Ps.37:7)? Can these waiting times be seen as God working something good in our lives? Can we find that stillness of quiet trust and confidence in a God who will come to save? Then you will find that “in quietness and trust is your strength” (Isaiah 30:15)!
PRAYER: “Dear GOD, I quieten my heart in You knowing that You are my fortress and my refuge and You will save!” Amen.