Revelation 3: 14-22
Monday, 09 January 2023
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. -Revelation 3:20
These days we have been reading about “doors” the Holy Spirit led to—of how God opened doors of the gospel for the church to fulfil His master plan.
Our reading today is an epistle to the church in Laodicea from Jesus Christ through Apostle John. Bible scholars have given many interpretations to the key verse (v.20)—the most common being Jesus’ invitation to a sinner for salvation. In the texts about the doors we read- God opened many of the doors; but here Jesus stands at the door and knocks- the person inside has to hear the voice and open for Jesus! Its each person’s willful decision to welcome the King of kings into his/her life. His entry leads to both having fellowship together.
Jesus Christ makes an invitation to man; man’s response to the same can be studied in the key verse:
Invitation of Christ to Man:
(1) He knocks: - Jesus Christ stands at the door of one’s heart and knocks. Jesus said in John 15:16, “You didn't choose me. I chose you!” The initiative is His! He comes and knocks. He will not barge into a person’s life-he gently and patiently knocks so He can come into one’s life. He loves us with an everlasting love— He doesn’t want anyone to perish, but instead desires all to have eternal life through Him. That’s why He still stands at the door of many people’s hearts, knocking! This is why many of us have received eternal life through Him.
(2) He calls:-“If any man hear my voice and open the door I will come in to him…” He not only knocks, He calls the person so that he can hear and respond to His voice! The way of getting the response is clear: the person should hear! All He desires is to come in and have a fellowship with him.
(3) He fellowships:-“I will eat with him.” No one comes into a house and has food with a family except those close to them. Jesus’ coming in and starting a great fellowship with the person shows how much He loves each of us! “…And my delight was with the sons of men.” (Prov. 8:31)
Response to Christ’s Invitation
(1) Hear Him:- First and most important thing is to hear His voice! Jesus said- “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me…” (John 10:27). That still small voice is still searching for us who are lost. Today many worldly voices try to catch our attention that we often fail to hear His voice. Don’t mix His “Word” and the world – always hear from the Good Shepherd and walk His way. Without hearing the call/ His Word, you can’t respond.
(2) Open the door:- After hearing, we need to take an action— that is, open our heart’s door for Jesus Christ. Not only the heart but allow Him to enter every area /room of our life! His light will shine in the dark areas of your life as He pours His presence into our life. To such He says, “I will be with you always!”
(3) Be willing to eat with Him:- Willingness is one of the important factors in all these areas. He doesn’t want to enter and do anything forcefully. All who willingly submit their lives, He will work in them; then we can see great fellowship always!
If you haven’t responded to Christ’s call, may today be the turning point of your life! As for the body of Christ— it is our responsibility to take Christ to those who haven’t heard and present Him in all aspects of our life.
To Meditate:- "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!" (Rom.10:13-15)