1 John 1:1-10
Wednesday, 18 January 2023
“We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.” -1John 1:3
Fellowship is one of the indispensable aspects of Christian life! Fellowship for a Christian differs from the viewpoint of the world in that a man of the world cannot understand the joy a child of God experiences in his life when he fellowships with God and his brethren.
God called man into fellowship with Him when He put him in the Garden of Eden. But SIN broke that fellowship and instead of companionship and joy they once enjoyed, man became fearful and alienated. But God in His mercy sent His Son to restore us to fellowship.
In the context of our reading today, Apostle John describes the depth of real fellowship in Christian life as stated in the key verse (V3). Fellowship with God the Father, God the Son is mentioned and of course the fellowship is not complete without God the Holy Spirit. Fellowship with Children of God is also mentioned and the real growth of a child of God is definitely connected with all these fellowships. As we look into this portion with a focus on fellowship, let us see the Conditions to abide by, to keep the fellowship always:
1) Practice the truth(V6):- Word of God clearly instructs us not to lie at any circumstance. Any relationship built on lies will surely fail one day. “But nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who practices an abomination or a lie, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life.” (Rev.21:27) Liars are assigned the second death which is eternal separation from God. (Rev.21:8)
2) Walk in the light (V7):- “This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.” (V5). As our Lord has shown the way of light let’s walk always in the light. “For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light ….And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness…”(Eph.5:8-11)
3) Walk in the truth (V8):- “…for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God…” (Rom.3:23). We need to learn to admit when we sin.. otherwise we deceive ourselves! Jesus is the truth (John 14:6)…abide in Him and follow His footsteps.
4) Repent of sins (V9) :- As long as we are in the fallen world, our sinful nature has a tendency to sin. Our flesh always desires the opposite of God’s plan. Knowing our mistakes; correcting them is the right way; God honors those who genuinely repent and return to Him. “Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper, but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy.” (Prov.28:13)
5) Be cleansed (V9):- God’s Word gives importance to a cleansing in daily life. Sin hinders the fellowship but love cleanses and restores fellowship as shown by Jesus (John 13:6-10)
6) Keep the Word (V10):- “If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.” Keep the Word always!- “Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.” (Ps.119:105)
Apostle John states why he writes all this: “And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.” (V4). God dwells in unapproachable light which no man has seen or can see (1Tim.6:16). The fellowship which He restores through Christ Jesus is, so that we approach His throne of grace anytime and enjoy the promises of heavenly blessings and eternity to be spent with Him. Let us pursue fellowship with God and our brethren that our joy may be full.
To Meditate: Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.” (John 14:23)