Saturday, 18 November 2023
"Joseph is a fruitful bough, A fruitful bough by a well; His branches run over the wall.” – Genesis 49:22
Jacob before his death calls his children and blesses them, which actually foretells their inheritance and how they are going to be in the future. Parental blessings are sure source of blessing in the life of a child. First of all, God has given the parents the serious responsibility of developing a child in the ways of the Lord. Prov. 22:6: Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it. Also the Bible teaches children to be obedient to their parents and honor them because it carries a sure blessing of long life on earth. (Eph. 6:2-3) "HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER," which is the first commandment with promise: "THAT IT MAY BE WELL WITH YOU AND YOU MAY LIVE LONG ON THE EARTH." Parents are charged with the serious responsibility of making a child like a sharp arrow in the hand of the Lord so that they reach their final destiny according to God's divine plan about their life. For achieving this great and awesome responsibility, both the parents and children have to mutually align themselves on God's side, so that they are assuredly blessed and become a blessing to others in the long run.
Blessing of Joseph:
Out of the blessings spoken forth by Jacob for his twelve children, the blessing of Joseph stands out. It can be summed up in one word- FRUITFUL LIFE!!! This reminds us of: John 15:8: By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples. Joseph is a shadow of Jesus in the Old Testament. A careful study of the life of Joseph is worthwhile. It has basically three stages of development into a fruitful life.
1. Receives the vision: Even at his very young age itself, God gave him the vision about the future. He earnestly believed it and waited patiently for its fulfilment; even when the things became difficult. He was simple and sincere enough to share it with his parents and brothers which caused him much trouble. But we can see a guiding hand of divine providence backing him up, to its fulfilment. It’s nothing but –the grace of God. (Genesis 37:1-11)
2. The Lord Prepares Joseph: God divinely ordains things for those who have surrendered their life for the vision. He will make ways to test them through the fiercest trials and gives them the grace to pass through it. It is for us to keep trusting God in times of troubles and operate in His enabling grace to overcome these testing times. Psalm 105:17-19: Then …—Joseph, who was sold as a slave. ..Until the time came to fulfil his dreams, the LORD tested Joseph's character.
3. God opens the door of Blessing: After the time of testing is over God opens the doors of heaven to bless Joseph. It was beautiful because it brought in godly blessing flowing into a land; which otherwise would have perished due to the coming famine. Psalm 105:20-21: Then Pharaoh sent for him and set him free; the ruler of the nation opened his prison door. Joseph ..; he became ruler over all the king's possessions.
Two things are noticeable in the fruitful life of Joseph:
· He was separated to be blessed. (The wall)
· He was near the well (the well of Communion with the Lord).
We are the Josephs of the end-time generation!
Dear Heavenly Father, help me to fix my eyes on the
heavenly vision and run towards its completion.
In Jesus’ name. Amen.