Saturday, 04 March 2023
“To know wisdom and instruction, to perceive the words of understanding …” - Proverbs 1:2
Solomon throughout the Book of Proverbs emphasizes the importance of wisdom- the key to unlock wisdom is the fear of the Lord! Prov.1:7 says “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge…” Though the word “fear” may instill the idea of being scared or being worried of the consequences but here it refers to our submission to God. It brings obedience and acts that are pleasing to God. In Hebrew, the verb “yare,” can mean ‘to fear’ also means ‘to respect,’ ‘to reverence.’ The verse thus points to our genuine submission to God and when we choose God’s way, HE grants us wisdom. Know that the Lord is keen to grant you His wisdom- for it says in James 1:5 “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.”
Proverbs are wise and pithy sayings which teach people how to attain wisdom that can be used to live a life of discipline, a life acceptable to God. Those who reject godly wisdom and instruction are called fools. The world finds sufficiency in the little know-how of life but what they fail to realize is that when godly wisdom is rejected, when calamity overtakes them like a storm, disaster sweeps over them like a whirlwind, distress and trouble overwhelm them, God will not come for their help! (Prov. 1:27&28).
But where godly wisdom prevails,
1. It keeps you on right track: Prov.1:10-19 points to those enticements in life to keep one off track from God’s ways. The ways of the wicked are a snare. The various issues of life pose great challenges always, but it is only the wise people grounded on God’s principles, muster strength and power to win over it!
2. Success prevails: A dull axe will cause the wood cutter to exert more strength. But when he sharpens it, he receives the intended result. In a similar manner, through godly wisdom we can be assured of success in different areas of life. [Ref. Eccl.10:10]
3. Calamities are avoided: “…he who guards his mouth and tongue keeps himself from calamity.”(Prov.21:23). Having a wise use of the tongue is a sign of the wise! A lot of trouble is avoided in life!
4. Lives are prolonged: God tells us “…keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you peace and prosperity.” (Prov. 3:1-2). Living our lives directed by the wisdom we obtain from God’s word gives us a satisfied life.
5. Protection prevails: “Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you.” (Prov. 2:11). A wise and discreet heart will guide the steps of a man from veering off the right path for he learns to discern right and wrong.
How do we gain wisdom? First by submission to God where we surrender and submit our lives to Him and for His kingdom; and secondly, we seek wisdom from God for the Bible tells us to "Seek it (wisdom) like silver, and search for it as for hidden treasure"(Prov.2:4). Remember, God grants us wisdom for He is the source of wisdom and from His mouth comes knowledge and understanding. In a world filled with corruption and misdirection, we truly need GOD’s wisdom to lead a life acceptable to Him. Let’s turn our focus from a dependence on our own skills and instead run to His throne of grace, seeking His guidance in every area of our lives!
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight. (Prov.3:5-6)
Listen: 'Wisdom Song'