Tuesday, 17 January 2023
“The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.” -John 1:14
The very essence of Christ’s coming is most often forgotten today by many who see Him as a religious leader or just a good man who laid down good principles to follow. How would we present Jesus that people would capture a glimpse of the Person of Christ that would reveal who He is. John’s Gospel portrays Jesus as the Son of God. As we meditate today’s reading, let Christ kindle in us a believing faith in His first coming that will lead us to salvation.
HE CAME AS:
· The Audible Revelation of God -[V.1] Bible Scholars tell us that after the last prophet in the Old Testament, there was 500 years of silence ,when God did not speak to his people. They were in captivity and were hoping and waiting for their deliverer. It’s at this juncture God sent his Son to preach The Kingdom of God. He preached of a kingdom not of this earth but a heavenly one in which he is preparing a people born of the Spirit.
· The Giver of Life- [V.4] In a world where people have enrolled themselves for ‘The Art of Living’, Jesus the very embodiment of life calls us to himself to experience Real Life and not an illusion of life. In John 11:25&26, Jesus says, “I am the resurrection and life. He who believes in me will live even though he dies, and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.” Isn’t this what scientist are trying to find-- ways to live longer? This is offered to us in Christ!
· The One True Light-[V.4] Jesus declares that “He is the Light of the world.” (John 8:12) He made this statement right after He forgave the woman caught in adultery. There may be people around us living in moral darkness. Jesus says that if we walk with him, we will continually walk in the light and there will be nothing that we need to hide. Are you still living in guilt, fear and shame? If so just walk with the Lord- He will deliver you from the clutches of sin.
· The Gracious One-[V.17]-All of us stand guilty of breaking God’s Laws and nothing can save us from the punishment due to us. It’s in a time as this that God extended His Grace toward us. He sent His only Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so He condemned sin in sinful man (Romans 8:3). He showed us unmerited favour by punishing His Son in our place so that we would receive eternal Life.
· The Epitome of Truth – No truth principles offered by the gurus of this world to their disciples, could totally free them from every kind of temptation. Jesus on the other hand said, “I am the way and THE TRUTH and the life” (John 14:6). If we hold on to His teachings we would know the truth and it would set us free from every kind of ignorance and error.
· The Visible Representation Of God –[V.8] In the Old Testament times we don’t read of God revealing himself visibly to many. When Moses wanted to see God, He told him that no one could see Him and live (Exo. 33:20). But in the fullness of time, God sent His Son to the earth so that man would see Him and live. Hebrews 1:3 says, “The Son is the radiance of God’s glory the exact representation of his being.” People in Jesus’ time walked and talked with God himself.
Today you and I can have the same experience when we live in fellowship with Jesus. This enables us to recognize and understand the truth of God. What a Gift!! Have you received this gift that God offered us in Christ Jesus? If not do not delay because the next time He comes, He comes to judge everyone of all their ungodly acts (Jude V.15).
Quote for the day: “The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God.” -C.S. Lewis
Listen: 'Jesus Son of God'